Wednesday, August 08, 2007

Open letter to "Concerned Fan" on Brisebois

A recent post by "Concerned Fan" really got my back up today, and given how I've been ranting about just this recently, I thought I would write him/her a reply. (Note: The blog is very well-written and researched, it's just this specific open dismissal of a group of fans who don't agree that gets me going)

The post, really did reek of the blinded Habs fan approach that I have been banging on about with regard to old Brisebois:

Unfortunately, there's still the issue of the boo-birds, blinded by a past that's no longer relevant and only eager to impart their less-than-stellar knowledge through irritating boos at a player who should deserve only respect for his past contributions and for signing at such a reasonable fee. One has to seriously wonder what is going through the mind of a player even considering returning to such a hostile environment.

The answer, of course, is that he loves Montreal and the Canadiens; always has and probably always will. No matter the fools swaying drunkenly from the rafters, Brisebois has always intimated that he was a Canadien at heart.

And if he signs, I'll be first in line to cheer and welcome him back.

- A Concerned Fan



Misconception #1: “there's still the issue of the boo-birds, blinded by a past that's no longer relevant”

Why is the past no longer relevant? I’m not clear at all on that. Has Brisebois improved since going to Colorado. I think you’ll find he didn’t. He was a healthy scratch on a number of occasions. Colorado fans on discussion boards expresss the same frustrations with Brisebois as Habs fans did. And, most of all, his current team opted to let him go.

His past is very relevant, both his past with us (only 4 years ago) and his most recent struggles with the Avs.


Misconception #2: “there's still the issue of the boo-birds, … only eager to impart their less-than-stellar knowledge through irritating boos”

I’m sorry, but this is nonsense. Concerned Fan just painted everyone who boos with the same brush. Many, if not the majority of fans, can give a very sane and rational answer as to why they boo. This kind of statement is akin to the “You’re either with us, or you’re against us…” rhetoric that comes out of Iraq/any war supporters when forced into a corner. It borders on the extremely ignorant itself, which puts the blogger close to the very group he was trying to characterise in the first place.

I’ve been to the Bell Centre on numerous occasions, and I can assure anyone who is wondering, that the boos are only heard when they are met by a silent majority. Leafs fans boos can be covered up by cheering. People up there boo lots of things – the anthem, Kovalev, Koivu, etc. – but if other people care enough, then it is cancelled out with cheers. Believe me when I say that by Brisebois’ last season, there were many booers and the rest were happy to let the boos get through.

Is booing helpful? Well now that’s a debate. It certainly gets the attention of the GM. I don’t think any of us bloggers could pretend our blogs would do any better…


Misconception #3: “a player who should deserve only respect for his past contributions anhttp://www.blogger.com/img/gl.link.gifd for signing at such a reasonable fee”http://www.blogger.com/img/gl.link.gif

I think this has been addressed before by myself and Robert at <> Eyes on the Prize <>. It is absurd to think Brisebois deserves our unquestioned support for signing the only multi-hundred thousand dollar deal he was offered. He’s no saint, and he’s no fool either – taking a paycheque that will help his imminent retirement fund quite nicely.


Misconception #4: “One has to seriously wonder what is going through the mind of a player even considering returning to such a hostile environment.”

I often wonder what goes through the minds of people who choose to do jobs in very hostile environments. I don’t think playing hockey professionally for hundreds of thousands of dollars for a team that expects very little of you really falls into this category.

I think I have a pretty good idea of what might have gone through old Breezer’s mind: $700,000.00 vs. $0.00. Hmmm.


I may just have to drown myself to the point of drunken foolishness, if the next time I sit at the Bell Centre I have to sit for three hours to try and identify evidence of Brisebois’ innate talent for the outlet pass that I have been told about ad nauseum the past few days. At least then, I’d fit in with everyone else up there…

1 comment:

  1. Great great great post!! I never saw it that way, but the crowd letting the boos being heard is a great argument for the people (mostly media) that states only a couple of hundred fools take part in the booing...
    I agree with you 100%
    Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete